Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Quilting History

Hi everyone thanks for stopping by to my redesign!! I used to blog as Betty Ninja, but have come back to the blogging sphere as a newer, hopefully more sophisticated blog, Inside the Honeycomb. I hope to post some of my quilts of course, but also newer hobbies such as gardening, homesteading, and textile arts (think stencils, stamps, and dye!).

 This post is to recap some of my past work and document my growth as a quilter. As I culled through my old flickr account to pull together my old quilts for this post, I realized how many photos I am missing! Many of these photos are actually WIP! As I pull together this blog expect a few more photos of these old quilts to actually show the finished product.

 If I had to describe my evolution as a quilter in words I would say from bold and bright to more simple and refined (I hope!). I realize looking back on these past quilts that I obviously love bold colors and even bolder patterns. Bold colors and patterns are fine- but I'm still working on the moderation part!

Read my about section for more of my thoughts on my journey as a quilter.


Modified Bunch of Squares

Based off of Denyse Schimdt's What a Bunch of Squares pattern. I've modified and explored this simple pattern again and again in my quilts.

Modified Bunch of Squares

I love the fabrics in this simple to make quilt. I picked them up as a bundle from Joanne's one Christmas.

Modified Bunch of Squares

Great way to show off some of your favorite fabrics.

What a Bunch of Squares in Orange

Another What a Bunch of Squares remake. Used lots of my stash to get through this quilt that I like to call the Orange Crush quilt.

What a Bunch of Squares in Orange

I think part of why I like this quilt so much is because it represents where I want to keep going with my work. The use of more muted pattern, but interesting color ways.

What a Bunch of Squares in Orange

I'm still working with this fabulous model!

What a Bunch of Squares in Orange

She still likes to sneak into shots!

Modified Bunch of Squares in Green

This type of pattern really makes use of beautiful fabrics that you can't stand to cut! Do you see that green bold flower pattern? Can you believe that was scored at a yard sale?!

Modified Bunch of Squares in Green



Modified Bunch of Squares in Green


Heather Ross Squares Quilt

I just recently finished this Heather Ross fabric quilt. Talk about a unfinished project! It sat around for years waiting to be quilted!! More photos to come!

Quilt Back

Back of one of my quilts. I love the simple layout, but wish I chose less bold chaotic patterns for the blues.

Quilt Back



Red Diamond Coin Quilt

Still working with that fabulous model in the background as well! This quilt was finished years ago, but I apparently never got around to photographing it, so more photos to come.

Each fall I smile when I see this red stripe quilt atop my bed.

Red Diamond Coin Quilt


Blue Stripes Quilt

Based off a color way and pattern from Denyse Schmidt's work. I heavily quilted it with an all over crazy type pattern. I still absolutely love the texture this type of quilting gives to a quilt, but it is very painstaking to quilt.

Swiss Cross Quilt in Red

And of course my modern cross infatuation. I posted a tutorial about a quick and easy method here years ago. I still love the look of these quilts, but sometimes wonder if it isn't just a bit too trendy right now.

Hot Pink Cross Quilt



Hot Pink Cross Quilt



Hot Pink Cross Quilt



Yellow Cross Quilt



Misty on Cross Quilt



Red Quarter Cabin Quilt



This quilt is a favorite of mine that is completely based off of this quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment